HEALTHY CHOICES: COCONUT & WALNUT OATMEAL RECIPE
Yield: Serves 2
- ¾ cup of organic, gluten-free, quick oatmeal
- 1 ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup coconut milk (option: can used hemp milk or almond milk)
- 1/3 cup of organic walnuts
- 1/8 cup (no more than ¼ cup) of unsweetened organic shredded coconut
- Optional: a half inch piece of ginger root
- Place the liquids – water and milk in the pot.
- Turn the burner on to medium heat.
- Add the walnuts and (optional) ginger.
- Give it about 2 minutes to heat up.
- Add the shredded coconut and stir.
- Wait 30 – 45 seconds.
- Add the oatmeal and stir. Will be very close to boiling point.
- Wait about 20 seconds – until it starts to thicken.
- Then reduce to low heat to prevent burning.
- Should be ready in under a minute.
Note: You may wish to add more water if you prefer more of a soupy consistency. If you want to use steel cut oatmeal which has more iron, it takes a few more minutes and therefore a bit more water to cook. Even so, we recommend soaking it in water the night before. Then follow directions as stated above.
(Note: All recipes should be reviewed to determine if the ingredients are appropriate for your condition.)