HEALTHY CHOICES: LENTIL & KALE SOUP RECIPE
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups peeled, diced onions
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- ½ cup diced celery (with leaves)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- Ginger root 1″ piece.
- ¼ cup of organic chopped cilantro
- 1 cup of lentils (can be red, green or the gray French) sorted and rinsed
- 1 (3-inch) piece of Kombu* (good for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.)
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- ½ lemon, juiced and strained
- Sea salt black pepper to taste.
- 6 kale leaves, washed and torn by hand into small pieces
- Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed 3-5 quart soup pot.
- Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, celery, carrots, and cilantro and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Sort through the lentils and discard any foreign matter. Rinse briefly in a strainer under cold running water.
- Add the lentils, ginger, kombu,* and 6 cups of water to the soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the kale.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Serve garnished with scallion.
*Good for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. Also has iodine.
(Note: All recipes should be reviewed to determine if the ingredients are appropriate for your condition.)