HEALTHY CHOICES: ZUCCHINI SPAGHETTI RECIPE
Yields: 4 servings
- 3 medium zucchini, peeled
- 1 small carrots, peeled
- 1 green tomato
- A pinch of salt
- Enough cold water to cover vegetables in the bowl of your choice.
- 1 teaspoon of lemon (fresh and strained)
- 2 cups of packed fresh organic basil leaves
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon juice (fresh, strained)
- 1 tablespoon of room temperature water
- 1 or 2 minced organic garlic clove(s)
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 pinch of fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup of raw pine nuts (or cashews)
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel and discard the outer layer of the vegetables.
- Using the vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini and carrot lengthwise into long, thin ribbons and stack. Remove and do not use the seeds for this dish.
- With a sharp knife, cut each ribbon stack into strands to resemble spaghetti noodles.
- Place the “noodles” in a toss bowl, cover them with very cold water.
- Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. Set bowl aside for about 6 minutes.
- Mince the basil.
- Add the liquid pesto sauce ingredients and blend about a minute.
- Add remaining pesto sauce ingredients and puree until achieve a smooth, but gritty consistency. (There should be some pieces of nut to give it texture).
- Drain the vegetable noodles completely.
- Pour the mixture over the vegetable “noodles”.
- Gently toss well to coat all the strands and the tomato pieces.
- Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
(Note: All recipes should be reviewed to determine if the ingredients are appropriate for your condition.)